Ritchie School of Real Estate Finance
Credit Repair Letter
HOME | Videos | Blog | About The Ritchie School of Real Estate Finance | Contacts | Class and Seminar Schedule | Credit Repair Letter | Pre-Approval vs. Pre-Qualification | HUD Q & A for Homebuyers | About Patrick

How to Dispute Inaccurate Items On Your Credit Report:


If there is an item on your credit report that you believe is inaccurate, the first thing you should do is contact the creditor that reported the information to the consumer reporting agency (CRA) ["consumer reporting agency" has the same meaning as "credit bureau"]. Ask the creditor to correct the information.  The creditor telephone number should be listed underneath the account number, if not, contact a reporting credit bureau for the telephone number.


If the creditor will not correct the information, write a letter to the CRA (credit bureau) requesting that they investigate the item. Briefly explain the reasons why the item is inaccurate. Do not express any emotion in your letter - just present the relevant facts. Send copies of any supporting documentation that you have (receipts, canceled checks, confirmation letters, account statements, etc). Save a copy of your letter for your records.  


The CRA will investigate the item and notify you of its decision within a reasonable period of time (usually within 30 days). If the CRA concludes that the accuracy of the item can not be verified by the company that reported it, the item will be corrected or deleted from your file. You will receive an amended copy of your credit report reflecting the change. If the CRA receives verification of the item from the company that reported it, or if the CRA believes that your dispute is frivolous, the item will remain on your credit report.


If you believe that the CRA did not handle your request in a fair manner, you have the option of filing a complaint with your state. You also have the option of contacting a private attorney. NOTE: It is not a good idea hire a "credit repair" service. These companies are frequently ineffective and very costly. Many "credit repair" services advise people to do things that are illegal. Correcting your credit is not difficult, to educate yourself on the process pick up a copy of The Credit Road Map at http://thecreditroadmap.com


If you are unable to have an item removed from your credit report, you are entitled to add a statement of 100 words or less to your credit report. However, these statements are not very helpful because they have no effect upon your credit score. More and more companies are relying upon credit scores, rather than your actual credit report, to determine your eligibility for credit, employment, insurance, and housing.


If you feel a creditor or credit bureau is not acting in a good faith manner it may be necessary to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.ftc.gov 

Contacting the Credit Bureau:


Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc.
http://www.equifax.com (You can dispute online, however, they may require you to purchase a new report through their site)


P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

(800) 685-1111


Trans Union Corporation

http://www.tuc.com (You can dispute online, however, they may require you to purchase a new report through their site)

P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022

(800) 916-8800



http://www.experian.com (You can dispute online, however, they may require you to purchase a new report through their site)


P.O. Box 2104

Allen, TX 75013

(888) 397-3742


Or look on your credit report under ‘Consumer Referral Information’ for contact information of reporting agencies. 


Asking to have items removed from credit report:

August 23, 2010


XYZ Credit Bureau

100 Credit Drive

Hometown, PA 00000


Re: Credit Record Problem


To Whom It May Concern:


I recently reviewed a copy of the credit file your company is maintaining on me. While doing this, I identified the following problem's): (At this point in your letter, you need to clearly describe each problem in as few words as possible.)

I have enclosed the following documentation that supports my claim: (Itemize the documentation that you are enclosing.)

Please investigate this problem as quickly as possible, correct it, and provide me with a corrected copy of my credit report. Please send this copy to:


Jane A. Doe

15 River Drive

Hometown, PA 00000


I can be reached by phone at (000) 000-0000. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.





Jane A. Doe


Full name:

Social Security Number:


Spouse’s Name:

Current Address:

Previous Addresses for the Past Five Years:



Reminder to Respond Having Item Removed:


August 23, 2010


XYZ Credit Bureau

100 Credit Drive

Hometown, PA 00000


Re: Reminder to Respond


To Whom It May Concern:


Thirty days ago you received a letter from me disputing several items listed in my credit report that was issued by your firm. The items were inaccurate and incomplete. I have attached the original letter.


Please note that 30 days is considered a “reasonable time” under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC section 1681i for responding to my request for reverification of the incorrect items. Since you did not immediately write to inform me of the need for additional time, I assume that you accepted the 30-day time limit.


I have not received a reply from you within these 30 days. Therefore, it must be that the information on my report was either inaccurate or could not be reverified. Whatever the case might be, these items must be deleted immediately pursuant to the provisions of 15 USC section 1681i (a).

Please respond immediately so that I do not need to pursue my legal rights under 15 USC section 1681n or 1681o, which both require your compliance with the law.


Also, pursuant to 15 USC section 1681i (d) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, please send me notification that the items have been deleted. Send an updated copy of my credit report to the address below, as well as to any other party that has inquired about my credit rating at any time during the last six months. According to the provisions of 15 USC section 1681j, there should be no charge for notification of changes to my credit report.





Jane A. Doe

15 River Drive

Hometown, PA 00000

SS# 000-00-0000


Enter supporting content here